Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Starting Anew

This is both the first week of school for Miami and the official premiere of Dream Autonomy. Perfect timing! I've thought it a great idea to make a blog with lots opinions on social rituals, especially schooling. But don't worry; there's more. I'll most likely bombard this with posts on random topics, being quite the one to know things. Guess the whole "knowledge is power" mantra rubbed off on me. Couldn't escape it.

A little bit about myself: not much for now. All I can say is that I'm quite scared. I've blogged before, sounding like an uptight and pompous sourpuss forty to sixty percent of the time. Not to mention it's harder to talk online when many hold a persona. So please give notice if it ever happens, for only genuineness and normality are tolerated. :P

About the blog's title: that's my main Gmail account! Okay, okay, I'll explain more. I made the e-mail in October 2008 while finding a way to fight against the voting age. I couldn't stand not voting due to being a "minor". And then there was my "Senior Year" with all its insanities. I was sick of putting up with a environment where lack of motivation was key, where you went home feeling a strong sense of pain and cowardice. Since I heard of youth rights and unschooling in 2007, I had a growing aspiration to be in charge of myself. Not easy for me to do when growing as a kid needing to please others.

Getting over it was the advice. I wanted a new life. I needed a new life.

"Dream autonomy" was the motivation. It was a reminder to reach for self-reliance. Not the kind where people win at the cost of hurting others, but rather one where one self-respects and shares that love for others to adopt. This is a self-made quote still followed after months without going to school. How can I abandon it when it shows the beauty of creating your own rules? I don't know about you, but I'm grateful for the opportunity.

No comments: