I suffered from myopia (and recently, slight astigmatism) since I was ten or eleven years old. Putting on four glasses (from three prescriptions), supplemented with book reading under bad lighting and computer usage since age twelve, destroyed my vision. They also dried up my eyes. Now I get occasional pain in my left eye.
Like on Saturday. I woke up with the pain. My Abuela (Spanish for grandmother---yes I'm Hispanic) has similar problems and puts on eye drops for alleviation. Me being me, I don't like having things in my eyes. Hell, I can't even swim underwater with my eyes open. We fought over this for a few months, whenever I spent time at her place and dealt with the eye. She realized I couldn't be convinced (stupid me), so we started a talk on how lenses dry up the eyes, how over-focusing your vision makes them lose their ability to view at distances. I mentioned books and the Internet, because focusing on text hurts. And then on how my vision already got shitty beforehand, thanks to school. I was the overachieving kind. That meant school plus six to seven hours of rote homework assignments.
That and later glasses. Don't glasses magnify the problem? They're more like a crutch than a cure. If you have blurred vision, you should exercise the eye. Too bad mainstream medicine hardly mentions it. Most doctors go, "GLASSES, GLASSES, GLASSES! CONTACTS, LASIK FOR GROWN-UPS"! Anyone talking of eye exercises are scammers. The anti-glasses side is hard to stand on. If it works, they say it's with a slight improvement in vision. But think about it. The glasses people take more money from you. Why? Why do they hurt us?! I tell all this to A with a slight drama queen tone. She goes, " Well, that's how they learned of the eye. Not all want harm". Good take. Don't go creative; only stick to what you know.
I knew it! I can't put too much faith in doctors. She agreed. You can't visit doctors for every little ailment. They're best for serious problems. The exercise idea also sounded good to her. Every moment, when something is blurry, try to focus, comprehend. Also, cry. Close the eyes. Let them gather tears. Take the glasses off. Use them only for reading or whatever you really need them for.
I took her advice. THE GLASSES ARE OFF AND MY VISION ROCKS A LITTLE MORE!
No comments:
Post a Comment