Monday, November 30, 2009

Brainwashed?!

When finding out I’m against formal schooling, people think I’ve been brainwashed by unschooling books such as The Teenage Liberation Handbook. They say, “She received weird thoughts. We tried to convince her to stay in school, but couldn’t. She was already sucked into it.”

How can I be brainwashed when experiences back me up? I spent my first nine public school years trying to learn, and what did I get? Foolishness, wasted time, and bad habits! What was learned could have been learned in a few months. Then I tried Catholic school. Still no good; the college/SAT culture was prevalent. I’ve taken regular, honors, and Advanced Placement courses. I’ve had every valid report card grade, ranging from straight As to that one F. It didn’t matter, because I wasn’t smarter or stupider. Everything fulfilled mindless memorization in the name of learning.

Years and years of maladjustment, worrying over petty things! One day I discover unschooling. Of course it’s interesting! I finally find a philosophy validating my problems with schools, while encouraging me to take charge of my education. Then my stepdad said it was too unorthodox. Only " rare and special people" would succeed. Funny. I know no "special person"; it's either someone doing what they love or doing what they hate. Obviously, happy people get so in depth they end up seeming like "geniuses". But then some so-called geniuses live sad lives too; no one is that special. Orthodox ideas already seemed unfitting! College seemed wrong when required to calculate your present for a good future. They tell us to choose a few majors, and I, having many loves, freak out. Even with one passion, all the requirements, the competition—it destroys love. Don’t mention how I got into drawing to feel talented and be liked by others (another topic). Let’s remember those professional artists talking so much about technique, education, and competition. Please, anything but that!

Traditional work is another death. There is nothing worth fulfilling. I’m stuck with people destroying lives, suffering over money and high paying jobs. The economy is bad, but people have no idea on how to get by without acting like it's the end of the world. Money problems make people manipulate each other, trying to get ahead. But I’m still “limited” with my aversion to “normal” lifestyles. I'm "dumb" for not denying my feelings—“You’re a dumbass! So what are you gonna do with your life? How will you get anywhere?”

I’m not so impressionable. Anti-school books didn’t tell me what to think. I already hated school; they just added knowledge. That’s what good books do. And you know what? It’s also okay to be for school. School may help some, but don’t think it's fun for others. It's funny how people calling me brainwashed give recycled reasons to be for school ("It's for your own good". "It prepares one for life in the real world".), usually debunked. Add that with disrespect for school haters.

If you want jobs, cars, college: no problem! Just be ready for responsibilities. I’ve seen too many people either suffering from pushy, idealizing people or not thinking twice about decisions.

Sorry for the rant. I get a little fuelled. *smirk*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They fear their own brainwashing in public school, and so project it onto you and other people who get out, think for themselves, and do their own thing.

Just found you on Twitter. Wondering whether we've crossed paths at any unschooling conferences. Nice to meet another grown unschooler! (I went to PS, but I'm raising 13 and 10yo unschooled girls).