Remember me talking about going to my dad's restaurant? Well, the food eating was an insight. I had the usual rice, black beans, and chicken with a salad. I've been eating one piece of chicken breast/fillet (depending), not the previous two or three. Good thing I was fine.
In the last year, I've been experimenting with eating less meat, more wheat, fruits, and vegetables. It was first for health reasons. I'm a life-long chicken lover and overindulged. Beef and pork too, though not as much. You can tell I'm not much of a vegetable person.
This intake decreased my energy and possibly gave me mood swings. So on Thanksgiving Sunday in 2008, I ate apples and papaya, instead of a ham sandwich, for breakfast. I slept little so some tiredness was inevitable. It was great. Not only did I feel more alert but my digestion was smoother. I realized, just like yesterday while reading an article, that too much protein tires the body.
That was it. I wanted to dab with vegetarianism. Still am, though I have little money and doubt my family will give real support. I'm going slow; all I've done is give up on red meat, which is only eaten when there is nothing else to eat. I do the occasional "skip the meat and have a rice, bean, banana/avocado meal instead" thing. I first got the feeling of emptiness without physical hunger. Then, I don't know how, but that feeling went away about a month ago. That was before reading a vegetarianism article on a magazine for diabetics. They explained that people get such feelings because they're used to large meals. Vegetarians are fine with a good salad and/or bowl of beans but omnivores "need" meat as their main dish. Recent vegetarians tend to gain weight because of this.
I've also eaten vegetarian/vegan soy products. I dare myself to try eating vegan. Veggie Patch chicken is good, but it has egg whites. Tofurky ham is fine, and Boca's patties are amazing with bread and ketchup. Otherwise, tofu sessions fail. It tastes weird. I assume they're like meat, better homemade than packed frozen. And better cooked to your likings as well. ;) I know because I also eat Tyson chickens (White meat, for god's sake! They're supposed to be "good".). They too taste like crap.
So far, it's interesting. It's no longer just for health reasons but also for morality. It's upsetting to waste and take away. Contrary to dumbass "comedian" (copycat's more like it) Carlos Mencia's "jokes", heavy meat eating is what harms the environment. The cows release too much methane because too many people demand their meat. We're talking millions. Killing them away is not the solution; they'll be replaced. Hate the methane? Find ways to rely less on mass meat-producing facilities. You can't have animals cooped up with little space.
Yeah. Mencia made some stupid joke on vegetarians harming the environment due to not eating the cows. I know, right? *rolls eyes*
I'm willing to go further, whenever I feel like cooking (lazy bum!). For now, I wonder if there are any local vegan or lacto-vegetarians here. I wanna learn from people breathing the food. There are too many "oh I'm just dieting" type. I know some in person, and they get quite odd at times. And please, not the pushy self-righteous PETA type either. Their anti-human attitude is scary.
First time I write of this in detail! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment